Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) is a type of plastic that is commonly used in bottles, textiles, and other products. It is also one of the most recyclable plastics. PET flakes are the small pieces of recycled PET that are produced after the bottles and other products have been sorted, cleaned, and shredded.
PET flakes can be used to make a variety of new products, including new PET bottles, clothing, carpet fibers, and even 3D printing filament. They can also be used to make new materials that are not made from virgin PET, such as composites and bioplastics.
The use of PET flakes in the circular economy helps to reduce the amount of plastic waste that ends up in landfills and oceans. It also helps to conserve natural resources, such as crude oil, which is used to make virgin PET.
Here are some of the specific applications of PET flakes in the circular economy:
- New PET bottles: PET flakes are the primary material used in the production of new PET bottles. This helps to reduce the amount of virgin PET that is needed, and it also helps to conserve energy.
- Textiles: PET flakes can be used to make a variety of textiles, such as carpets, clothing, and insulation. This helps to reduce the amount of virgin materials that are needed, and it also helps to create a more sustainable textile industry.
- Composite materials: PET flakes can be used to make composite materials, such as those used in car parts and construction materials. This helps to reduce the weight and environmental impact of these materials.
- Bioplastics: PET flakes can be used to make bioplastics, which are plastics that are made from renewable materials. This helps to reduce the reliance on fossil fuels and it also helps to create a more sustainable plastics industry.
The use of PET flakes in the circular economy is a growing trend. As more people become aware of the environmental impact of plastic waste, the demand for recycled PET products is increasing. This is good news for the environment, and it also helps to create new markets for recycled materials.
Here are some ways to increase the use of PET flakes in the circular economy:
- Improve the collection and sorting of PET waste.
- Develop new technologies that make it easier to recycle PET.
- Increase the demand for recycled PET products.
- Educate consumers about the benefits of recycled PET.
By taking these steps, we can help to create a more circular economy for PET, and we can reduce the environmental impact of plastic waste.
How Solar Energy is the Solution
Wind energy is currently the largest contributing resource of renewable energy in Ireland. It is both Ireland’s largest and cheapest renewable electricity resource. In 2018 Wind provided 85% of Ireland’s renewable electricity and 30% of our total electricity demand. It is the second greatest source of electricity generation in Ireland after natural gas. Ireland is one of the leading countries in its use of wind energy and 3rd place worldwide in 2018, after Denmark and Uruguay.